I am lucky enough to come from a diverse family, which has informed my work ethic and the way I see the world.
My Mother’s family is Mexican, originally from the Baja and Michoacán areas of Mexico. My maternal grandfather (my Mother’s Father) was born in the coastal town of Todos Santos in the Mexican State of Baja California, and my maternal grandmother (my Mother’s Mother) was born in Michoacán, but grew up in Mexicali. She met and married my grandfather there, and they immigrated to the US in the late 1940’s, settling in Riverside County, California.
My Father’s family is descended from the Watson family of West Yorkshire in the United Kingdom, and the working-class Dumont family, who came from Antwerp, Belgium. These lines immigrated to the US in the 1880s, first coming to Missouri, then traveling on to California.
I feel extremely proud and fortunate to come from such diverse cultural backgrounds, and to have had the chance to learn from my relatives about our story.
I moved to Humboldt County in 2006 to attend HSU. I immediately fell in love with Arcata and was blessed enough to relocate here in 2010 after graduating with a BS in Forestry, and an Environmental Ethics Minor.
While attending HSU, I was President and National Co-Chair of HSU’s Student Association for Fire Ecology, as well as President of the Society of American Foresters (HSU Chapter).
I’ve served on the City of Arcata’s Economic Development Committee for five years (two years as Chair), on the board of Arcata Main Street, and was an early board member of Zero Waste Humboldt.
Two years in a row, I managed Zero Waste Humboldt’s collection efforts in the North Country Fair, donating my time, resources, and staff to help make the event a Zero Waste success.
I’m a Lifetime Member of FOAM and volunteer at the Arcata Marsh, and I volunteer weekly at the Arcata Community Center, where I facilitate “Tech with Brett,” providing assistance with Arcata’s seniors’ technology needs.
I’m a Big Brother with Big Brothers Big Sisters of the North Coast.
I take pride in having owned and operated my small businesses in Arcata for six years.
I’m mainly interested in increasing community safety, helping seniors and students, building a “premier” dog park for residents and tourists, continuing progress on Zero Waste goals, and diversifying Arcata’s economy. I believe it’s important to balance embracing HSU, environmental tourism, and other sectors of the economy, while keeping sustainability at the forefront of Arcata’s economic goals.
• Co-Founder and Partner of HumBot707 Tech Solutions (2016-Present)
• Founder and President of Humboldt Manufacturing, Inc. (2009-Present)
• Graduate, Firefighter I Academy, Shasta College, Redding, CA. (Dec. 2004)
• Graduate, B.S. degree in Forestry, Wildland Fire Management option, Environmental Ethics Minor, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA. (May 2010)
• President and National Co-Chair, Humboldt State University’s Student Association for Fire Ecology (2007-09)
• President, Society of American Foresters (Humboldt State University Chapter) (2008-09)
Arcata City Council
• Appointed to the Arcata City Council (April, 2017)
• Vice-mayor of the City of Arcata (2018)
• City Council Representative to the Humboldt Bay Municipal Water District, Water Quality Task Force (2017)
• City Council Representative to the Humboldt-Del Norte Hazardous Materials Response Joint Powers Authority (2017-’18)
• Vice-chair and City Council Representative to the Redwood Region Economic Development Commission (RREDC) (2017-’18)
• City Council Liaison to the Arcata Chamber of Commerce (2017-’18)
• City Council Representative to Friends of the Arcata Marsh (2018)
• Alternate City Council Representative to the League of California Cities, Redwood Empire Division Business Meetings and Legislative Committee (2017-’18)
• Alternate City Council Liaison to Arcata Main Street (2017)
• Arcata Economic Development Committee, served 2 years as chair (2012-17)
• Arcata Marsh & Wildlife Sanctuary Volunteer (2015-Present)
• Arcata Senior Center Volunteer, Weekly “Tech with Brett” Facilitator helping seniors with technology needs at the Arcata Community Center (2015-Present)
• Member, Arcata Chamber of Commerce (2015, 2017-2018)
• Lifetime Member, FOAM (2015-Present)
• Member, Bayside Community Hall (2017-2018)
• Board Member, Arcata Main Street (2014-15)
• Board Member, Zero Waste Humboldt (2014-16)